A sentinel is a robotic drone. They are seen patrolling planets and seem hellbent on keeping the planets how they were when the character showed up. If they catch the character harming wildlife, terraforming, or mining, they will open fire on them. They may be part of a "malevolent force".
None of the aliens seem to know where they came from. Notes from abandoned buildings on an experiment on the drones notes, "The first drone screamed when it was cut open" suggesting that they are not entirely mechanical.
Types of sentinels
- Drones sentinels are flying security bots that are alerted to disruptions in the natural environment.
- Quad sentinels are dog-like robots that appear when wanted level reaches two stars. Their laser beams inflict moderate damage.
- Walker sentinels appear when when wanted level passes three stars. They inflict a high amount of damage.
- Motherships act as a local communication relay for sentinels. They appear in space when wanted level reaches five stars. They are equipped with seven beam / cannon turrets on each side and, occasionally, Sentinel fighters.
- Fighters are sentinel starships that appear in space when wanted level reaches five stars. They are usually deployed by a sentinel mothership.
- In demos, drones were first shown to be present on Quidar II surrounding a crashed freighter. Later videos show a four-legged mechanical sentinel, and a giant two-legged sentinel that attacks the character, as their wanted level rises.
- The sentinels started a war against the Vy'keen known as Hirk and his followers. This war began when Nal the Objector was slain by Hirk on Dun's'kaareen.