Freighters are NPC starships that are used as part of the trade industry of No Man's Sky.
Players can attack freighters to steal resources away that are stored on the ship. These ships are usually accompanied by smaller fighters. Freighters are sometimes armed with their own defensive turrets and preparation prior to attacking should be taken. Pirates may also be seen spawning near freighters, triggering a distress call event. Starting with update 1.1, players may also own their own freighters at a large cost.
Player Owned Freighters
Freighters are large luxury trade spacecraft with a cost to match. Freighters grant the ability to construct a base within them, which allows for many economic advantages such as mobile farming and internal storage units. Players may summon their freighters from almost anywhere on the surface of a planet or in empty space from the quick access menu.
Freighters will usually spawn in groups during space travel. If the player approaches the group of freighters, the lead freighter will usually show up as a marker. The lead freighter will have a blue beacon indicating a landing zone similar to a space station. once approached the player's ship will commence auto-landing and will be docked in the hangar. From the hanger the player must make their way to the bridge, where the captain resides and offers their services.
- Since the cost of purchasing freighters quickly overtakes the cost of purchasing a Starship (see below), it's recommended that the player use the enhanced storage capacity in order to participate in the trade system.
- The outward appearance of a freighter cannot be changed.
- The number of turrets a freighter has cannot be changed.
When pirates approach, or if you attack a freighter, the bay doors turn orange, then red, and doesn't allow ships to enter. As always, you can choose to defend the freighter or attack it.
You CAN raid items from your own freighter, and it does not affect your freighter in any way.
There is a rare space battle whereas the largest freighter: a super massive long freighter with 20 turrets, 46 storage spheres, and is rounded at the front, spawns and instantly starts a space battle on a rare occasion where you warp into a new system. The battle contains up to 7 pirates. It is best to defend the freighter, as if you successfully destroy all the attacking pirates, the captain will either give you up to 2 free warp cell's or a good deal on the freighter itself.
Freighters have a maximum storage capacity of 48 slots and the first freighters encountered have 13 slots. Once a freighter is purchased, the freighters the player encounters from then on will have 2 additional storage slots and cost about 2.5 million credits more than the last until the cap is reached. Additional storage can be made by using the base building area to build storage containers.
- Just as starships can fit 2 exosuit stacks (250 element/stack) into 1 starship stack (500 element/stack), freighters can fit 2 starship stacks into 1 freighter stack (1000 element/stack).
- In order to access the freighter's storage slots, the player must speak to the captain and transfer materials from the freighter to their starship.
- The player may teleport materials from their starship to their freighter at any time by tapping the transfer button on one of the freighter's empty slots.
- The outward appearance of a freighter has no bearing on its storage capacity.
The doors on the opposite end of the Freighter as the captain hold the base portion of the freighter. These doors will remain locked until the player purchases the freighter. The main means of expanding the base is through the hallways that extend from the main circular room.
- As of ver. 1.1, If a player docks into a freighter (owned or not) when pirates are about to spawn, the freighter goes into alarm and won't allow the player to take off.
- As of ver. 1.1, freighters can be summoned very close to the surface of a planet.
- As of ver. 1.1, if you land in a freighter that you have not purchased yet, and you leave the game(after auto-save) and return, the frieghter will dissapear and your ship will be floating in space, and you will be sent falling throgh space.